5 July 2007

A Pledge of Allegiance to the Episcopal Church

I know that the 4th of July is an important holiday to the national life of Americans (and that's supposed to include me), but today I'd like to reflect on loyalty to our national church.

Last year, I created a pledge to 'promote' ecclesiastical unity among Episcopalians as General Covention 2006 gathered. It would be so cool if General Convention would approve of it when it comes round to California in 2009, although I know it would NEVER do so. I refined it a bit from the original model, however.

Episcopal Pledge

We, the bishops, clergy and laity of the Episcopal Church
unite as one people and one body
to build one, holy, catholic, and apostolic church
on Christ's sure foundation,
and to bear witness to our greater hope.

No comments: